Wednesday 15 June 2011

Born to Run

It's only two days to go to my biggest race of the year. Most people that read this blog don't need me to tell them that. They are either doing it or I have bored the hind legs off of them talking about it.
Being injured during the taper has been a weird experience. Everyone has been concerned with, are they doing enough running, too much running, not enough sleeping, too much eating. My only thought is - will my Achilles be okay by Carbeth huts. Even my support plans are just a last minute thing instead of the weeks of research, versions and what ifs. Luckily last years plans are good and it was only a case of changing the year at the top. But do you know something? The taper has been much easier. I haven't stressed at all or worried. It is out of my hands and there is nothing I can do. So on Saturday morning I will line up in Milngavie and run. I won't look at each checkpoint and think I must go faster or slower but instead thank someone (I am not entirely sure who, maybe some ultra running God) that my injury hasn't played up and I am allowed to go on.
Don't get me wrong. I have still tried to do as much as I can to make sure I am on the start line not completely out of shape. I have been to Hampden Park Sports Science Centre. I have had awesome support from these guys this year and it has been great to be able to bounce ideas and receive so much wisdom from them too. They prodded and tapped and said that they hoped I would be okay for the race but not to run again until then. And so it has been two weeks of aqua jogging and cycling. I swear that by the time this race starts I will be faster swimming the Loch.

So like I said before - it's two days until the race. How will it go? I really don't know. But two weeks ago Scott Bradley was winning the Hardmoors race when he collapsed. Thankfully he is making a recovery now but it does bring all this ultra racing back down to earth a bit for me. Nothing is as important as life. No race is and everyone has to remember that. No use finishing the WHW to then spending 6 months recovering or worse - never recovering. We are born to run but it should never take over our lives completely. With this in mind I will start the race. Will I get to the first checkpoint? Will I finish? I certainly will try my best. I will also remember a bit of advice Scott gave to me once - "If your not enjoying it, then your going too fast" Its been invaluable over the last two years. So if it all goes pear shaped then I will also remember one more thing - in the end there is always next year.
JK - did we ever discuss the 5 year plan?

And so I just want to finish off wishing everyone a fantastic race on Saturday, newbies and old timers alike. Try to enjoy it, have fun and enjoy the whiskey on the finish line.
Thank you to all the organisers, marshals and support crews that will battle against the midges, rain, cold and give up their weekends so that us nutters can run. Thank you so much. :-)
See you all in Milngavie. I can't wait. :-)

14 comments:

Mark said...

Hey Marco,
Well said mate, so excited now, will def keep this in mind....

"If your not enjoying it, then your going too fast"

I am going to adopt this at the weekend, enjoy myself and hopefully have a sprint left in me if I make it to Fort William.

See you there
M

John Kynaston said...

Five year plan?? .... the way you are going it will be the 'never ending' plan!

See you in a couple of days and try and not do anything silly between now and then!!

Santababy said...

good mantra, maybe if i'd had that in my mind for fling i might not have fallen.... see you Friday, hope you make it to end

Rob Soutar said...

Just remember Marco in your head you have completed the course so put any niggles to the back of your mind and in your own words enjoy, see you Friday.

Thomas said...

Next year we all will abandom running and start aquajogging two weeks before the race. You will see!

I hope it works out well for you! See you soon!
CG

Dale Jamieson said...

From what I've read you weren't enjoying much of last year due to that blasted tummy problem, until it dissipated. Surely that wasn't linked to your pace? Each to their own I would say. Going hard works for some.

Best of luck

Julie said...

So glad you're running. And what a great attitude to take into it. Have a fabulous race.

Fasting v Feasting said...

Hi Marco, hope the race works out for you! See you Friday. Caroline

Ali Bryan-Jones said...

Good luck on Saturday Marco. As one of the newbies it's good to read about the thoughts and experiences of those who've done this race a few times.

Andy Cole said...

Good luck Marco, hope it works out OK.

Silke said...

Fingers crossed your achilles will hold up and allow you to run your race! See you on Friday. Silke

Robert said...

Hope those feet are elevated right now big guy! Looking forward to it

oldrunningfox. said...

Whiskey on the finish line? Quick, where's my Roclites.....
Wishing you all the very best on Saturday Marco.

Paul said...

Good luck Marco. All the best and hope the Achilles holds out.