Thursday 7 April 2011

Injured

I am injured.

NewImage

After my 40 mile run on Saturday my lower left leg swelled up, got very tight and made even walking painfully sore.  I now have to cross roads at traffic lights, use banisters going up and down stairs and get overtaken when walking outside by the young, old and physically challenge.  Although I did have one win the other day when I overtook a very fat middle aged woman.  Her benefit fuelled fags slowing her down to a crawl.

So what happened to me?  I have gone from being the fittest ever to a hobbling mess.

The first signs were just after the D33.  My calfs during the race had felt like they were going to cramp and then afterwards had felt tight.  During the two weeks that followed they didn't cause me any concern but were still tight.  Also though the front of my left shin was now tight too.  I had rubbed it, massaged it and stretched it but still it wouldn't loosen.  But there was no cause for concern when I met Lucy for a 40 miler from Drymen to Tyndrum as I had had 2 weeks of good training.

After about 20 miles though I could feel the shin a bit.  Still nothing too bad and nothing to raise to much concern but by Beinglas and 30 miles I could feel it a lot more.  The frustrating thing was my legs felt fantastic.  Loads of energy and no tiredness at all.  Just the sore shin.

We stopped at Beinglas for a beer (as you do on long training runs) and really on hindsight I should have just called it a day there.  Running to Crianlarich was fine and after leaving Lucy there I continued towards Tyndrum when it started to actually get painful.  The constant ups and downs of that section was what got me and by the wigwams I decided to just walk, run to the finish.  Still my legs apart from my shin felt great.  Thomas caught up with me then looking really fresh after his 100k race and I decided since this part was a bit flatter that I could run in with him.

I had no problems at all running again and finished in good spirit thinking that after a day or two's rest it would be fine.

That night I even did some ceiledh dancing too.

The next morning though I woke up to my lower left leg badly swollen and looking a bit bruised too.  I knew straight away that this wasn't going to be a couple of days fix.

So I haven't ran since Saturday now.  The swelling hasn't gone yet but I did go to the physio yesterday and it certainly looks like the tightness in the muscles of my lower leg and foot is what is causing the issue.  The physio (Andy from Achilles Heel) tore into the leg and although painful I was pleased because he wouldn't do that if there was any damage.

This morning my leg is starting to feel much better and I even managed to run about 3 meters (yes meters) in the office when someone was looking for me.  There was no pain and I was pleased that things are getting there.

The physio has asked to see me again and has said no running until at least Tuesday when he will reassess me.

So am I worried about this or driving everyone nuts with temper tantrums?  No actually I am fairly fine about it.  It may even suit me as my body will be fully recovered and repaired for the high mileage next month for the WHW or if I make it the Fling.  Yes the Fling, it isn't a definite anymore as I will need to see what happens but I am at my fittest ever at the moment and I don't think that a couple of weeks off will affect that at all.  Certainly not my endurance although I may slow down a bit which isn't a worry when your key race is run at 10+ minute miles.

I certainly would rather have a few weeks out at this stage and get it sorted than trying to keep training and mess up the WHW completely.

So now I just need to fill up a full weekend running free.  What do normal people do nowadays?  I cant remember.

4 comments:

Santababy said...

i dont know any normal people....speedy recovery Marco, cant beleive you'd ran from Drymen when i we saw you, you looked fresh as daisy!

Peter Duggan said...

Normal people? Climbing, sailing or cycling, of course!

John Kynaston said...

Really hope this injury clears up quickly but don't rush it.

The Sunday Adventure Club said...

Normal people usually run 40+ miles, i've heard there's some weirdos who wash the car or go to the garden centre but i can't believe that's true!
Rest well, you'll be back in no time!