Monday 16 March 2009

A devil, a canal and a long weekend

A devil

From the start of WHW training this year I have tried to have a run on the way every second week. The idea was that I would run the route of the training run at the end of the month two weeks before just like a practise attempt.
Also part of my training runs are to run half of the long run either the day before or the day after. This was a great idea until the distances started to increase.  In two weeks time we are running the Devil of the Highlands route. All 42 miles from Tyndrum to Fort William.
And so, to keep with the training plan I had to do the same. Two weeks before.

Devil o' the Highlands Route
Tyndrum to Fort William
42 miles


To make it all work out I had to take the day off work. You know that you are becoming a fanatic for ultra running when you take a day off, then get up at 5am and then drag your wife and seven week old baby with you too. Okay perhaps it may have been Debbie that dragged me out my bed.
Anyway we arrived at Tyndrum and I set off at 7am.
Apart from a slight niggle in my right calf from the beginning I had a great run. I really enjoyed it and the weather was very kind to me. It was sunny with spring well and truly out.  I even saw blossom on a tree in Kinlochleven of all places.
Training wise I was trying to keep to the running up hills but not as many as last time. Keeping with the one gel and 500ml of energy drink formula although I did have a terrific egg sandwich at the Devils Staircase.
The top of the Devils Staircase had a lot of knee deep snow that slowed me down and worried me because you couldn't see the boulders below the soft snow.
I felt good at the end and pleased that I didn't bonk like I did last year.
Thank you so much Debbie and Cairn for all your great support and to JK for your text asking how it was all going.

Distance : 42.19 miles
Time : 6 hours 38 mins
Avg Pace : 9:26 / mile



A Canal

On Saturday, a new event was being held. It was the Glasgow to Edinburgh Double Marathon. I had contemplated running this but in the end decided not too. It also seemed a bit pricey at £50 and after seeing the event organisation I didn't really see where all the money went but the organisers seemed friendly enough even although they looked like a bunch of university students.
A lot of the people running were from the WHW family and it was great to meet up with them all. But Debbie and I were here to support Sharon.
I also decided to run 18 miles of the canal as part of my training.
Running the 18 miles didn't feel to hard. Okay it was not as easy as it should be but a strong wind was behind me and the canal is as flat as a pancake.

Distance : 18.23 miles
Time : 2hrs 21 min
Avg Pace : 7:46 / mile

During my run I ran with Lucy Colquhoun for a bit and we chatted. I felt slightly embaressed because I had once posted that on a blog "I beat Lucy" It was totally tongue in cheek and I just hope that she read it that way.
I also ran with Kenny V as well. He is running the WHW this year for the first time and seemed to be very strong. Thomas came in a great 4th place. I was really pleased for him as at Bonnybridge I thought he looked done in but he must have got a second wind because he finished looking strong. Sharon came in a great 6th position and second girl with Davie minutes behind her with sorer ears than legs.. ;-)
I didn't get to talk to anymore people as I had to leave to go to John Bell's 40th birthday party. A great night but after all the running I swear I had a few dizzy spells and it wasn't caused by alcohol. Debbie on the other hand had a few dizzy spell that were.

Full Results for the run are here, and a good run by Phil, Ian, Aileen, Keith and Mags. Well done to everyone.

A Long Weekend

So after quite a busy weekend running, how do I feel? Quite good funnily enough. My legs are fine although a bit stiff. Energy wise though I feel it will take a few more days to get back to 100%. Today I did 16 * 200m reps. None of them fast but they felt great for getting all the rubbish out of my legs. Back into a cold shower after it and I felt great.





6 comments:

Davie Bell said...

Cold shower eh! certainly gets rid of any stiffness :-)sounds like you had a tough training weekend and sore ears on the M8 driving back to Glesga.

Well Done
Davie

Debs M-C said...

Yeh, that's what I tell him, Davie :-) ha ha.

After 20 years, I'm used to Sharon's gibbering.

Well done on a fab training weekend, Marco. You're right on track for that 18 hour WHW. He he no pressure.

xx

ianbeattie1 said...

You must be in good shape if you did 16 200s and felt good afterwards :)

ianbeattie1 said...

Not to mention the cold shower and the stiffness :)

Thomas said...

Marco, I am really glad you are getting into a real ultra racing shape. You can do 18:00.
But don't do too much speedwork!
I did a few 200s too today, but I was walking them (I had not much choice though since I can't run at the mo ;-)).
CG

graeme reid said...

Thanks Marco!
Just as i was feeling better about myself despite puffing round the 32 mile "sprint" of the Wuthering Hike and the pain in my legs is slowly subsiding, I read about your two back to back long runs followed by some gentle speed work - great! Just what I needed!?