Saturday 11 April 2009

On the way to 22

I decided that it would be a good time to do a 22 mile run on the WHW at Fling race pace. I did wonder if this was a wise thing to do but having read JK's blog he did the same thing as well.
Wow so for once Marco is being wise I hear you say. No not at all, after this 22 mile stint I am taking Saturday off before another 20 miler on Sunday. Then it is taper time for two weeks and the Fling.

On Friday I was running from Balmaha to Beinglas. I reckoned it was 21 miles and 3 hours 33 minutes seemed like a good time to aim for. I based my individual stage times on some Fling times from last year.

Debbie and Cairn, my ever present support this year, dropped or rather threw me out of the car at Balmaha and off I went on my run.

Balmaha to Rowardennan
8.10 miles
01:06:59

8:17 /mile

I had thought that this section was 7 miles and so my pacing was way out what I thought I should have been doing. I thought I was going way to quick as I was aiming for 1:09 for this section. If it had been the 7 miles I would have been under 1 hour. Okay this time it worked as the distance was longer but again it showed that my pacing especially at the beginning of a run is woeful.
I felt great on this section and the rain that was falling when I started had stopped within 5 minutes. Yesterday I had ran 13 miles with 7 under 6:40 pace so to have recovered was great especially after the week off with the cold.
The West Highland Way was muddy throughout the day. I hope it is a bit drier in two weeks.

Rowardennan to Inversnaid
7.29 miles
01:03:30
8:42 /mile

For this section I again practised my running up the long hills out of Rowardennan. I am finding them much easier now and they save so much time. By Inversnaid though I was starting to feel quite tired. I was not sure if the pace was just too quick for me or if the run from the day before was still affecting my legs. I like this section and found that the time went by quickly. My aim was for 1:03 and I was bang on.

Inversnaid to Beinglas
6.63 miles
1:16:01
11:28 /mile

It is hard to keep to a pace in this section. I was wanting to run at 11:30's but during the difficult section at the start I was going at 13 min mile. It was muddy and slippy and I had a couple of slips. I knew that I could catch up later though.
By the end I had to walk up most of the bigger hills but I was still on my pace and I felt strong as I came to the finish.

Balmaha to Beinglas
22.02 miles
3:26:30
9:23 /mile

A good run that taxed me enough to make me wonder about my pacing. I tried different gels today (GO) and found them a lot more watery and so much easier to eat. I also tried mint sweets which are good.
Debbie and Cairn met me at Beinglas. I am so lucky to have them helping me out this year. Thanks guys. :-)
On Sunday I am running from Milngavie to Balmaha. I would like to aim for an 8:20 minute mile pace. I think that this is easy for this section but I want to feel good at the end of it.


5 comments:

Rachel Jayne Stevenson/Rogers said...

Well done! Sounds good to me!
I use the go gels for marathons (a mere warm up for you crazy whw-ers) I have found they work really well...the energy boost is quite short lived though (approx 15-20 mins) and I am not sure I could get by on them for a longer distance should I ever be crazy enough to try an ultra!

Thomas said...

You are quick, mr crazy Sonic. Some people would say, that's too quick for a training run. But I would not dare. ;-)

3:33...That's Donald Naylor's split time on that section. Coincidence?

Debs M-C said...

Ha ha. Totally rumbled. But Mr Crazy German, the fact that you noticed would suggest you're just as fanatical :-)
xx

Thomas said...

Debs, no, I am not.
I am worse!
;-)
CG

Brian Mc said...

11:30 avg per mile sounds good on the Inversnaid to Bein Glas section. Bloomin' tricky keeping the pace up over the terrain there.

You might think me daft but I look forward to the long gradual hills out of Rowardennan. Bring them on!

:-)