Friday 24 April 2009

No sex please... we are runners

So the big race is tomorrow. Not the big, big race but my first ultra of the year. So what does everyone do the day before a big race? I am having a lazy day feet up, TV on and cleaning my shoes from the last time out. I am an athlete Debbie, okay. :-)
This week has not been the best in terms of preparation. I had to go to London at the start of the week. I have felt awful. Not sure if it is a cold or the taper. My legs feel awful. I have been struggling to come down the stairs in the morning. What will I be like coming down Conic Hill. I am sure that this will all disappear in Milngavie at 7am but will I still feel okay later on. Bloody tapering.

I am really looking forward to meeting up with everyone tomorrow. Catching up with friends.

Garscube have a team in the race. Rob McLellan, Davie Aitkin and me make up the team. Looking forward to seeing how we get on.

So my bed beckons me back again and so I just want to wish everyone running the Fling tomorrow the best of luck and a big thank you to the support teams and organisers without whom we wouldn't be able to do this.
But most of all thank you to Debbie and Cairn who without, I wouldn't be able to get out of the door for the race.


3 comments:

Sarah Ridgway said...

I've quit the long tapers, always just felt terrible. I now just cross train the last week and run 2 or 3 times that week, then swim and cycle with only the day before the race as a total rest.

Anyway good luck tomorrow.

Cheers

Iain R (using Sarah's log in)

"e Brutto" said...

Good luck.
Was anonymous on Brian's blog started my own. Generally prefer shorter steeper runs 35 to 50k.
http://slightlypreoccupied.blogspot.com/
Never run in Scotland too bleak monoculture to make the journey worth while is TWHW different.

"e Brutto" said...

Good run from the Mrs write up, going out fast early works for me as well better than under cooking the start.
Not that I do enough training to do more than jog an ultra.
Does the course have much scenic variety?