Tuesday 26 May 2009

75 miles. Will it be tears or glory?

Johns Video of the run
Silkes Pictures
Johns Blog of the run

When I started my training this year I always had in mind the two day training run. All of my long WHW training runs were ran the day after or before another longish run. These back-to-back sessions were an attempt to stop the fatigue that I felt at the end of last year's West Highland Way race.

The thing is I am not sure now that the fatigue I experienced was caused by never running over 55 miles so now I am unsure whether back to backs would be as beneficial as I thought. Sure they will help but perhaps not in the way I imagined.

You see for the last two years people have said to me to watch my pace, to hold back at the beginning of a run. I pretend to listen and I am full of good intentions and believe me I even try. I set off at what I think is an easy pace but it never was. I was kidding myself. On a road race it may have been but during an ultra it was suicide.
People saw me during training runs and said that I had a natural talent to do well and this went to my head. I would run against world class athletes and think that at the beginning I could stay with them. Lactic acid would set in and I would finish in a whimper in agony and posting a time that I should be proud of but know I can do better.

Then I ran the fling. Again I ran fast. 20 miles with Jez Bragg in view. I felt great and life was good. Then by Beinglas I was broken. I contemplated pulling out but continued my legs unable to run and so again I walked the last 12 miles. Thomas the crazy German overtook me looking as fresh as a daisy and running all the way. I had blown it again.

At that moment I swore that I would change my tactics. I wanted to be humble. I wanted to be cautious. To forget about finishing in the top ten of a race and just finish in a time I am pleased with. I signed up for the Cateran Trail 23 mile race and paced much better, but my tired legs gave up before the end. They still had the Fling in them.

So it was on to the two day training run. I had to learn pacing before the race and who better to help me than John K. The most organised WHW runner that I know. JK has all the times worked out. Every two or three miles there is a time checkpoint. If anyone can help me then JK can.

Day 1
Balmaha to Bridge of Orchy
40 miles

Running on the first day would be Sharon, Davie Bell, John and myself. Straight from the off I wanted to prove to everyone that I could in fact keep a lid on the pace. It was easy to do that as my hip has been hurting for a couple of weeks and to be honest I couldn't go any faster than the 11 minute mile pace that we were running. As we ran though the hip seemed to get looser and less sore. In fact by the end of the 75 miles I couldn't feel it at all.
The four of us chatted away taking turns each to speak to each other in two separate group. Never did the two groups have more than a couple of meters between them.
Before long we were in Rowardennan. 67 miles to go I said to myself and all of a sudden I realised that this wasn't going to be just a wee run.
We had quite a long break here. I met Ben from Garscube and I spoke to him for a bit. He was telling me he was still injured and not running the Edinburgh marathon. I felt awful for him as he was in such a great shape a few months ago. He will get a marathon and he will get a great time.

We left Rowardennan and walked up the first big hill and then ran the second. This seemed a nice and easy way of doing it and I will try during the race.
I felt no pressure at any point. My stomach felt a bit upset so I stopped for the toilet and let everyone push on. I didn't rush and knew that I would catch them eventually. Whether it was in two minutes or two hours. I would never have done that before. It would all be about racing and beating people.
I caught them up (I don't know how long it took or even care) and before I knew it we were in Inversnaid. I couldn't believe we were there already and that was when I realised. Running like this is enjoyable and I haven't really enjoyed many runs this year.
Pacing properly isn't about being lazy. Taking your time at the beginning shows that you are intelligent and have thought through your tactics. Everyone has heard the saying that one minute saved at the beginning is ten minutes saved at the end.
(I am sorry that I am going on about pacing)
Back to the run and we were on our way to Beinglas. This section was great and I felt light and bouncy. I started to pull away from the rest and for a moment the old me surface. Then I heard Sharon worn Davie not to go with me and I stopped and waited. We pulled away from John and I think he thought we would leave him. We didn't and we arrived together in Beinglas. Just as we did Davie seemed to have a problem with his leg for a bit but by Beinglas it seemed okay.

I ran out of food at Beinglas and started to struggle. I had dropped a food bag at Carmyle Cottage but that was 50 minutes away. John gave me a Murray mint and straight away I felt better. A second one got me to the drop point.

It got cold quickly as it hadn't stopped raining all morning and everyone left at different times with me being the last.

I caught Davie quiet quickly and he was starting to struggle. His ITB band was playing up but he said that he would just continue slowly. With my pack filled with energy drink from the drop point I pushed on with a new lease of energy. I caught Sharon and before long we caught John but Davie was getting further and further behind and Sharon was getting worried.
We slowed for Davie but he never caught us. Again we were getting cold so we pushed on safe in the fact that Davie would call if he had any issues.
Debbie and Cairn were at the wigwams. It was good to see them but Debbie informed us that she was looking for Davie. He had text her and had to end the run short because of his ITB

Not long now until Bridge of Orchy and I was so surprised that I felt great. Nearly 40 miles ran and I felt that I could pick up the pace again. And I did a couple of times as we neared the end. In fact all three of us picked the pace up and ran strongly into Bridge of Orchy and the promise of a shower and a slap up meal.

Day 2
Bridge of Orchy to Fort William
35 miles

I was worried about the second day. I have never ran as far on a second day after running 40 miles the day before. Especially as the 40 miles we had done are not the easiest. My legs were stiff but not tired or sore. Something that I just couldn't comprehend. It was a completely alien feeling to have done so much but still be in a relatively good condition.

I was last to start off today out of the four starters from yesterday. Sharon was first to go at 8:30, then John at 9:28 and me at 9:40.
To be honest I was a little disgruntled that John wanted to start without me. Not at him for leaving me to run myself but because it would put pressure on my pacing strategy. I wanted to run side by side with John and learn about pacing correctly. Would this mess it all up.
As I climbed the hill out of Bridge of Orchy I started to look at things differently. I was back into the relaxed pace of the day before and enjoying my running. John had done me a favour and shown that I can pace myself correctly. I still wanted to catch John so that we could run together but gone was the instinct that I had to beat him across the finish.
A new me but also because I was more relaxed I didn't ask Debbie to support me at Victoria Bridge and so I carried a light backpack and felt free. No stress and back to enjoying my running.
I met Silke at Victoria Bridge and instead of a quick hi and bye I stopped and chatted. Thomas was on the WHW too and I was looking forward to catching up in the chat when he caught up with me. He had started at Tyndrum but I knew that he wouldn't be too far behind.
I ran on and walked the hills up to Rannoch Moor. I chatted to all the walkers and jogged the flats. Looking at my watch I was averaging slightly faster than the day before. Perfect I thought. This way I would catch up with John and we can run together.
I never once pushed it and by about 4 miles from Kingshouse I caught him up. He was running with another John and the three of us would run together for most of the day.
The hill down past the ski center was sore on my hip but not to bad and we arrived not long after at Kingshouse. The weather was such a difference from the day before. It was sunny and warm.
Thomas arrived soon after but we left before him. He caught us near the Devils Staircase and looked very strong. In fact he ran all the way up the Staircase without stopping once. Very impressive.
The two Johns and I reached the top not long after. The weather was starting to get cold and rain was not far away.

We arrived in Kinlochleven and refueled. Now this was the hard bit. The 14 miles to Fort William. In the race last year I took nearly five hours to complete it. In this training run I would do it in two hours 40 minutes.
At no time did it feel hard although towards the end I started to feel that I hadn't had enough food. The thing is that with the slower pace I seem to be able to eat a lot more and with a lot more variety. John seemed very strong at the end. His new food routine seemed to be a real winner. I was very impressed at how strong he was at the end and he seemed to have more left in the tank. In fact both of us did and it will give us both bags of confidence on race day.

So by the end what have I learnt. Firstly I have hopefully learnt pacing. How much easier is it to pace correctly and finish strongly. Why didn't anyone tell me. Oh sorry you have been for the last year.

Secondly don't wear hair gel in the rain. Yeah my hair went all white.

Third, I need to eat more. Its much easier when the pace is slower.

So that is it. Training finished and I am feeling so relaxed about tapering. Dare I say I am looking forward to it.

Thank you to my ever present support Debbie and Cairn. Sharon and Davie for their chat. Silke and Thomas the crazy Germans and my good friends. Katrina for keeping Debbie company and making me laugh when John was discussing his schedule and you knew nothing about it. All the fellow runners we met on the way.

Last but not least though I have to thank John. If I have finally got the idea of pacing then you will be the one I have to thank for it. I think you have shown me how to tactically think about a race. I am sure your voice will be ever present during the race.

Thank you to Silke and John for the pictures


10 comments:

John Kynaston said...

I was the one nearly in tears reading that!

Thanks again Marco for a great weekend.

Make sure you read this report the day before the race!!

See you Friday (I thought you couldn't make it?)

John

Thomas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thomas said...

What a post! Like "confessions of a runner who used to set off too fast"...
Finding the right pace for an ultra race is not an easy task. But finding it, that's what it is all about. YOUR pace.
If you hit that delicate pacing spot in the WHW Race in 3 weeks that crazy German has no chance*. And not just him.
I cannot wait to see how you will be doing. I am already biting my nails off...

*Since I am quite a fan of that crazy German I still hope he is doing well though!

CG

Tim said...

A great run Marco! As John says though, re-read your post before the big day just in case the importance of pacing kind of slips your mind between now and the race. It wouldn't be the first time that lessons learnt and good intentions have somehow been forgotten before the big day! (BTDTGTTS). ;-)

Debs M-C said...

As I said, if you go too fast at the start I'm going to show you a picture of smiling JK. That will remind you of him laughing as he past you in Lundavra last year.

Well done on a great run. And, more importanly, well done for not moaning too much afterwards :-)

Now we've got the pacing sorted out you just need to work on the hayfever, athritus, swine flu.. :-)

xx

Marco Consani said...

Thank you everyone for your great comments. I honestly will try to not let you all down.

John - Yes, work was cancelled so now able to run on Friday. Will see you then.

Thomas - That crazy German is gonna have a blinder. You should have seen him gallop up the Devils on Sunday. He is something else.

Tim - You are right. It is easy to forget all about your tactics and get carried away at the beginning. Fingers crossed I dont this year.

Debs - Thank you. Mxx PS I think I have a hernia.

"e Brutto" said...

Rock and roll Marco.
Do you weigh yourself on the run to check your progress.

Debs M-C said...

I forgot about the hernia!

There's no way I'm carrying scales about, so don't even think about it!

xx

Johnny Hall said...

Hi Marco. Good luck next month.

Can I ask a quick equipment question?

I see you wearing the TNF Race Boa water pack thing in your photo. Since they are a pain to get hold of in shops, it's tricky to make a judgement about them.

Is there room anywhere for carrying required clothing for (long distance) fell racing? Lightweight water or windproofs.

How comfortable are they? Much room in the accessible pockets?

The Sunday Adventure Club said...

Great post Marco, I'm sure you'll enjoy your racing much more with your new tactics. See you on Friday, Richie