Saturday 30 May 2009

Friday Night Run

So while everyone was enjoying pay day and a little drink after work I and a few others were getting ready for a night run. The idea is to get used to the start of the Way using headtorches. I was going to miss this run because I was meant to be working but also I found that last year it took me days to get over it. It was only 20 odd miles but the lack of sleep, running at a time your body isn't used too and running in the dark takes its toll.
But when my planned working weekend was cancelled I signed up immediately. Not because it was a night run but because it gave me the chance to run the first bit of the Way and also the only bit we didn't run last weekend.

I met John, Ian, Dario and Sue at the Balmaha car park. The plan was to take Ian's car and drop off Dario and Sue at Beech Trees and then drive on to Milngavie where we would start on the way back to Balmaha.
I was feeling a bit yuck as I drove to Balmaha. My cold had come back and I had done no running all week. I didn't say much when I met everyone and was quite content to sit in the back of the car and contemplate the run.
Sue mocked me, asking if I had fake tan on my legs. Perhaps I have been sleeping too close to Debbie at night. :-)
At Milngavie we met Jim, Davie and Stan. Jim and Davie were doing a different route that even although they told me twice went in one ear and out the other. I was still away with it as they left ahead of us. Richie appeared and after the photo's we were off. The normal start is still being worked on so we went to the Fling start.

As we passed the shocked locals through Milngavie village we went straight back into the pace we ran at the week before. 10.20 /min mile. But it felt a lot harder than it should have for me. I struggled a bit and the pain came back to my hip. My foot also started to become sore as well. So much for the rest week. I just couldn't really get into it at first as I tended to sit at the back.
Luckily though as we came out of Mugdock I got more into it and started to talk to everyone. Earlier that day I had sent JK some predicted splits for the WHW race and we spoke about that. It was great to get him to look over my times and have his opinion on them. I have really enjoyed running with him over the last week and sharing our thoughts and opinions with each other although I really have to stop swearing in front of him.
Stan spoke about his grandkids. "Bullsh*t" I thought (sorry I will stop the swearing)... ".... you must mean your kids.... your not old enough" I later found out he is 60. I really thought he was in his 40s.
It was about now that I found out that Murdo has pulled out of the race due to injury. Everyones mood changed as if there was a death in the family. Sometimes it is like that when you hear that someone pulls out. It affects us all and Murdo will be sorely missed. Although I do hear he has been talked into marshaling by Dario.
Onto Conic Hill and Richie ran up beside me. I kept with him for a bit but pulled back and waited on the rest. My competitive spirit is on hold at the moment and by that time my foot was causing me some problems.
Into the Balmaha car park and although it was a good run I was glad we were finished. I felt tired and a bit bashed but by the time I got home I felt like I hadn't even been out.
Debbie and Cairn were out overnight at Debbie's mums. I promised myself a long lie but after four hours sleep I awoke to beautiful sunshine and couldn't get back to sleep. I will pay for that later.

Anyway I just want to say good luck to all you Edinburgh Marathon runners tomorrow and if you want any advice then watch this
Coach Cairn Marathon Tips




3 comments:

Debs M-C said...

I've told you before, it's my natural skin colour! Honest! I know you like to use my facial wash, shampoo, showergel etc... but I draw the line at my fakers. Maybe you and the crazy German could have a wee spray before the race. He could do with a bit of colour. He doesn't have the Italian genes after all :-) :-)

xx

ianbeattie1 said...

Marco - good to see you on Friday. I don't think Stan will thank you for suggesting he is 60. I'm pretty sure he said he was 55 - still an old git, but not quite as old a git as you suggest :)

Thomas said...

Yes Debs rub it in. Exposed to the sun I develop freckles and sunburn. That's all the colour I get.

Hey what about "Crazy Freckle" as a new nickname?

;-)