Monday 11 May 2009

A mini Cateran

For a small tiny millisecond I thought about throwing away my training plan and running the Cateran Trail ultra. A 50 odd run around Perthshire. Thankfully I decided not to and instead I entered its smaller older brother, The Cateran Trail 23. It is deceiving though. For one it is nearer 24 miles and two there isn't a lot of trail. There is on the other hand a lot of bog and hills so it is a tough wee race but the organisers are a very friendly bunch and I definitely think I will enter again.

This race was all about getting some race experience under my belt. After my Fling I wanted to see if I could ever learn what proper pacing is.
Straight away though I showed my naivety. I had decided on running in my road shoes. "Why has everyone got trail shoes?" I wondered.
The start was at 10 am, 1 hour before the relay teams. I was hoping to keep in front of them today but also I didn't want to go off fast. Richie Cunningham was there so I hoped that I could maybe keep up with him for a while and learn from someone with much more experience.
Straight away at the start a lead group of 4 or 5 runners tore off and for a change I wasn't in there. I caught up with Richie and we ran together. It was good to chat with him for a bit. Soon though he stopped for a call of nature and I seemed to start to catch the lead group but I held off and soon they were out of site. Had I done the right thing? I thought.
Richie caught back up and again we ran together as the ground got muddier.
The only trace of the lead group was footprints in the mud.
We reached the 1st checkpoint and Richie stopped. I didn't need to stop but I wanted to stick with him for the first part of the run so I waited for him to fill his bottles. I was trying out my new North Face hydration pack that was working out quite well.
Then we started up another long drag of a hill and I quickly lost Richie. I didn't mean to but I did feel good and so I just continued on. It was good to run myself for a bit but I was wary about going the wrong way. Training and racing only on the WHW does that to you.
Then I heard voices ahead. It was two or 3 of the lead group. Without trying I had caught them as they had started to wilt from the pace. They also seemed to be having some navigation issues as well.
I shouted the right direction to them and continued on. I was in 3rd position without trying and was nearing the half way point.
Then we hit the mud.
I was sliding place and a runner overtook me. He shouted to me to watch my navigation at this section and just as I replied I went flying and landed in loads of mud. Note to self. Don't wear road shoes, white socks or white tops doing this race.
Richie danced past me as I did my best impression of Todd Carty in Dancing on Ice.
Then back onto trail. My legs battered by the mud section kicked into action and I overtook the runner and caught Richie again.
But I was gubbed. I could feel the torture of the mud section had sapped my battered fling legs. I then arrived at the second checkpoint and Debbie waiting for me. 15 miles gone.
I grabbed some coke and continued. But it didnt settle too well in my stomach. No matter I could see Richie and I was catching him. We then reached the beginning of the last long hill before the end.
Straight away I struggled and so started to walk. Richie didn't seem to get much further away when doing that so I continued. But then I was caught by another Carnethie runner. I just didn't have anything left in my legs to keep up
By the time we reached the top of the hill and onto a flat section the two Carnethie runners were a long way away although in their day glo colours I could still see them.
I was able to get back running again on the flatter section, all the time wary that I was going to be caught by an influx of passing runners. Then I saw that there was still a short steep hill left to conquer. Oh no I thought. But then I spied a white top only half way up and struggling. This gave me the push. If I could catch him then that would be great.
I rocketed up the hill and finally got him at the top and then got a sizable lead on the downhill section. Again sliding in the mud bath all over the place. I tried to jump a muddy section at the same time as 2 hillwalkers and ended up sliding and falling awkwardly. This caused my calf to cramp and as I writhed in agony in the mud I saw the runner I had just passed steadily catching me.
I shot back up and sprinted as fast as I could to the finish, every jump making my calf spasm as if about to cramp again.
Fourth position in 3:20:03 and 3rd senior male. Did I win a trophy? I am not sure as we had to rush off to go to the Gibsons for dinner. Well worth it though as they put on a fantastic spread (thanks guys) and also the crazy German trying to sing Michael Jackson was hilarious.

Good race and I will do it again next year. The pacing felt better although it still needs work. The Fling is still in my legs though.


3 comments:

"e Brutto" said...

Oh well I was expecting a bit more excitement and a desperate adrenalin fueled start.
Marriage can do things to a man none of them good :¬)

Thomas said...

That's more like it. Great result.
Despite tired legs.
Pity you do not run the REAL Cateran race. ;-)
The ultra that is.

See you soon,
CG

Brian Mc said...

Good performance over the terrain, considering your choice of shoes (tee hee) and the fact the Fling would be heavy in your legs. Glad to see you off road too!

:-)