Sunday 25 May 2008

Sleeping with the Enemy

 

 

Since the Islands Peaks race I haven't been running very well.  I am injured.  Yes, four weeks to the big one and I have a swollen lump on my shin across the tendon that goes from the top of my foot.  No worries I had felt it niggle after my fling run so I am sure it will go away again.  On Thursday I went out and ran just over seven miles but the last two were a nightmare with pain around the tendon and my ankle.  Straight away I decided I needed time off running and started to ice and take nurofen.  I surfed the net and found that it can be a common injury for Ultra-Marathoners or runs that have a lot of ascent.  Heck, the peaks had both.  But after a few days the swelling went down but the hair around the area all fell out and now looks like a small plucked chicken.  Weird.

Today though it felt sufficiently better to go out with the Lomond Mountain Rescue to support a charity walk up Ben Lomond.  The charity was The Rangers Charity Foundation which is a worry because I am a Celtic supporter but it is for charity so it's for a good cause.

My job was to go to the top and check off each person as they made it.  What I didn't know was that they were taking the Scottish Cup to the top so that each charity walker could have their picture taken with it.  So each Ranger supporter posed for a picture and each of them quipped "It should have been the UEFA cup"  There was of course a lot of Celtic comments but there was no way I would say anything.  Not out of fear but because no matter what team they supported each and every one of them had raised a lot of money and had made it to the top of the Ben.  Good on them I thought.

Connal, the chap that organised it, didn't take a hand off the cup all day.  He seriously looked worried about something happening to it.  I don't blame him as it is 114 years old.  I asked if it was a replica and they told me it was the actual one that Rangers won the day before.

Anyway he needed to do something and asked if I could hold onto it for two minutes.  Well at least one Tim got his hands on the cup this year. :-)

MRT 012

The Scottish Cup and me on top of Ben Lomond

I also just want to add congratulations to everyone that ran this weekend.  Caroline for a fantastic PB, Neal for surviving Edinburgh un-injured, John for getting 1:25:56 beating his goal for 2008 of running faster than 1:27 for a half and Ian for running 2 marathons.  Stornoway and Edinburgh.  Well done Ian.  Also thank you Ian for inspiring me to writing on my blog when he sent me an email wondering what happened to my posts.

9 comments:

John Kynaston said...

Hi Marco

Sorry to hear about your injury. Hope it clears up quickly. Look forward to seeing you tomorrow. I'm keen to hear more about your islands race and what it was like.

John

Davie said...

What happened to the "Blue and White Ribbons on the cup"?

Harvey said...

oh no! Fingers crossed for that leg mate!
Hope to still see you tomorrow night for the run.

Thomas said...

O dear. I did not know you have trouble with injuries. I hope to see you tomorrow and we can catch up.
I can bring my stick, maybe that'll sort your shin :-)

Debs M-C said...

A swift kick to the shins in the middle of the night. That'll have you on my support team in no time ;-) xxx

Davie Bell said...

Hope you washed your hands:-)

Marco Consani said...

Hey guys,

Thank you for your comments on my injury and the cleanliness of my hands. All looking better now. Hands are clean and my injury is feeling a lot better. A bit swollen still but after 6 days away from running I am looking forward to the night run tomorrow. Will do at least the 12 miles and then play it by ear on whether I should do all 24 miles.

Marco

PS now sleeping in the living room in the hope that that will stop Debbie kicking my shins during the night. ;-)

Brian Mc said...

Now, when we agreed to enter the OMM you didn't mention being of the green variety! ;-)

Rest well and I hope you recover quickly.

Davie Bell said...

Hey Marco, It was good to see the Rangers Charity Foundation doing a more conventional fundraising event as opposed to the one in Manchester I think they called it the Rangers Kickacopathon:-)