Saturday 3 May 2008

A different view

I was really looking forward to this.  My plan is to run the Highland Fling with Neal on Monday but in the meantime, since I have a few days off training I would be supporting Debbie on a run from Beinglass to Kingshouse.  Not only that but we are also away for the weekend in our new caravan.  Now before you all laugh and ask me where my slippers and pipe are please listen.  When Debbie told me she wanted a caravan I thought that she was bonkers.  And when she said that she wanted to buy it on eBay I was calling the looney farm.  But I have to admit, and all credit to her, it is a great idea. 

We spend most weekends away from home. Running, hillwalking and drinking in the Clachaig.  Tents are fine but it can be a chore and also the dreaded midgies.  Debbie's way of thinking was why not have a home from home.  Filled with our gear but not too expensive that you didn't mind leaving it in the middle of nowhere or going inside with muddy feet.

caravanAnd so without knowing a single thing about caravans we bought the new Consani mobile on eBay.  Okay Debbie would call it the Martin-Consani mobile but I think that sounds rubbish.  Double barrel names are for people too well off to be slumming it in an eBay caravan.

Our first introduction to caravanning didn't go to well.  My 2.3l petrol guzzling mean machine was reduced to a pedestrian Sunday school picnic pile of junk.  Not sure if it was the caravan or the weight of the amount of stuff that the two of us actually need for one weekend away. 

Buying your caravan on eBay does have some disadvantages as well.  No-one tells you about some extras that make life easier.  One such thing is called a stabiliser bar.  It is meant to stop the caravan shaking itself to bits when you go over 30 miles an hour.  Although my 0 - 60 time was now about 30 seconds there was times I did manage to get some speed.  Only to be rewarded by the teeth grating shaking.  Luckily Debbie wasn't here to witness this as we needed two cars for the weekend.  She isn't the best passenger when I drive and I am sure that this would have had her effin and blinding at me all the way up the Loch side.  Yes the Loch side.  I went from never towing anything to towing a caravan up Loch Lomond.  Great introduction.

By the time we met at Tyndrum my nerves were shattered and I was in no mood to be messing about with where we were going to stop for the night.  In the end Debbie and I had a heated discussion before we ended up at Bridge of Orchy.  More out of my inability to reverse with the damn thing than anything else.  Okay I sound like I hate it but as the weekend went on I grew to love it.

At Bridge of Orchy we found a perfect spot with a beautiful view of Beinn Dorain.  We had something to eat and then watched a film in bed.  Luxury.

SATURDAY 3rd MAY

BEINGLASS to KINGSHOUSE

Debbie's Training RunWe woke up early on Saturday.  The weather was meant to be raining but it wasn't actually too bad.  If anything it was a bit warm.  Debbie got ready and I took her to Beinglass Farm for the start of her run.  I was really looking forward to a nice relaxing day reading and making sure that Debbie had everything she needed.

Debbie's Training Run

Debbie looked very strong as she started out and I drove ahead to Derrydaroch.  I had to park the car away from the West Highland Way so there was no way that I was able to read so I decided to go down to the Way so that I definitely didn't miss her.

I took some pictures of cows while I waited.  Moo.

Debbie's Training Run Debbie hates cows and I was wondering how she would be when she had to run past them.  I saw her in the distance.  She was running really well and was soon up the hill and asking me to take extra clothing out of her backpack.  So support is waiting waiting and then bang everything happens at once.  Anyway there was still time for more pictures.

Debbie's Training Run

 

 

Debbie is really good at the checkpoints and stops.  Something that I need to learn.  She was through Derrydaroch in record time.

Now I had some me time.  What would I do.  I went up to Crianlarich and bought the papers and some munchies.  Debbie had left me with loads to eat  but I can never let a bargain go and two tubes of pringles for £2 sounded good.

Off to the wigwams and I settled down to read the paper.  I had loads of time.  Maybe I could have a nosey around the shop too.  After a bit I looked at my watch.  Oh no where has the time gone.  10 minutes until Debbie will get here.  Just enough time to prepare all her gear.  At that precise moment there was a loud knock on the window.  Debbie was flying and way earlier than I expected.  Oh no I was failing at being support already.  I got out of the car to see Debbie running into the distance with shouts of "Your a rubbish support team" and a West Highland Way walker laughing at me.  I had failed miserably.  How does Silke make it look so easy?  How does AllyBea do it?  Definitely not the way I was that was for sure.

I caught up with Debbie in the car.  She was smiling so I wasn't in trouble.  She gave me her backpack to fill up for her and hand back by Tyndrum.

Debbie's Training RunAt Tyndrum I laid out everything that Debbie would need.  I needed to make amends.  I didn't need to worry.  Debs was smiling away when she came in and decided a quick change of socks was what was called for before refuelling and away.  Another quick stop for her and something that I have to learn.

With the caravan still at Bridge of Orchy I headed over and sat in the comfort of the van.  Bliss.  Now this is why we got the caravan.  I was seeing the pluses to it.  Sitting reading the paper making a coffee as I watched out for Debbie.  The view was astounding and the position of the caravan was right on the way.  If Debbie wanted to she could come inside for shelter but I knew she wouldn't so I made her a coffee in case she needed it.

Debbie's Training RunDebbie's Training Run

Another fast stop and she was away again.  I retired back to the caravan to finish my coffee.  If only it was possible to have the support teams with the caravan on the big day.  No that's a stupid idea.  I would end up with 10 hours of breaks.

Debbie's Training RunEventually I started to move and drive to Kingshouse.  Good timing as when I nearly got there Debbie called and asked me to meet her at the ski centre.  I arrived early and looked out for her up the hill.  After about 10 minutes I could see a small figure blasting down the hill.  Debbie was running strongly and looked in great shape.

Debbie's Training RunDebbie's Training Run

I grabbed Debbie's backpack and she continued on to the finish.Debbie's Training Run

Debbie's Training RunDebbie's Training RunDebbie's Training Run

Debbie's Training Run

Debbie finished the run fantastically. Very strong and running very well.  Tomorrow she would be running from Kingshouse to Fort William and I was hoping that she hadn't gone to fast today.

We drove back to the caravan, our new home from home.

6 comments:

Thomas said...

Marco.
I noticed myself over the weekend time flies when you are supporting. It requires 100% focus. And if you are not ready when the runner arrives you are in trouble. But I think you managed well. If Debs manages to get you pregnant in time for the WHW Race you'll be ready for the full support task.
;-)

Marco Consani said...

Ha ha. If Debbie manages to get me pregnant Thomas then I will be sorted for life. How famous do you think that would make me. Guest spots on Oprah, opening Mothercare stores... the list is endless. :-)

Tim said...

Hi Marco,

We've been through the "pipe'n'slippers" phase years ago when our kids were young and had a 5m long caravan. In the end, it was the *unloading* at the end of the holidays that used to get us down. Not so bad if you can store it on your own property though. Then you can unload at your leisure.

I'd strongly recommend a stabiliser though and doing a bit of reading about best practice when loading. There's often a bit of a divide though over where you *can* store stuff and where want to have stuff.

Beware that no stabiliser will necesarily prevent a bad snake. (Speaking as someone who's experienced a caravan overturning on a downhill stretch of the M6 when a coach overtook us at high speed (pre-regulator days for coaches))

Have you checked to see if your driving licence actually allows you to tow a carvan? If you passed your test after 1997 you need to do another test specifically for towing.

Debs M-C said...

My favourite story of the year is now some people are calling you Marco Martin-Consani. Brilliant. I love it.

Great report. Although I must say, supporting you is much harder work. Your diva demands are exhausting. Thus confirming my decision to run instead.

xxxx

Marco Consani said...

Thanks everone for your comments.

Luckily Tim although I look young I am actually older than I look and have a (very) pre 1997 license and so can tow caravans. I did however take a little look on the internet and found loads of instructions on reversing with caravans. One even had a simulation that took up a few hours on a boring Friday Afternoon. :-) I will look into the stabiliser bar too.

Marco Martin-(under the thumb)-Consani

allybea said...

The Runner always hates it when I say he has the easy bit just running. It's harder than it looks, isn't it? ;)

Glad you're enjoying your caravan. I come from a long line of gypsies (or Irish tinkers as my Gran used to say!) and love caravanning. Sadly The Runner doesn't.