Tuesday 10 June 2008

I've made my bed, now I'll lie in it...

Lets just hope I don't die in it.

It's been a while since I posted.  I am finding the tapering very difficult.  Corpses have more energy than me, condemned men are faster than me and the West Highland Way race couldn't be further from my mind.

Everyone is posting about sleepless nights and every now and then Debbie looks at me in terror and says 10 days to go.  But I have never been so relaxed.  Of course I am having issues.  My legs and especially my feet are Christine, my sports masseur's, worst nightmare.  I feel like I have the cold and no matter how much sleep I get I feel tired.  At the moment I feel a million miles from the West Highland Way race and a billion miles from being prepared for it.

Perhaps work is taking me away from it.  Our company was recently taken over and so in great timing all the work started last week for it.  But to be truthful it's just the taper that's doing it.  I have to find my love of running again and I think that on race day it will come back with avengance, hit me square on the face and for 50 glorious miles I will love it.  The next 50 I will hate it but hopefully if it all goes to plan my love of running will come back when I get my goblet from Dario.  Actually writing this has proven to me that my love is still there.  I am welling up at the thought of receiving my goblet.

On Saturday, it was Garscube Harriers West Highland Way relay.  Just a social event in the running club's calendar and an excuse to run the WHW. Again!

Debbie had elected to run the Lochside from Rowardennan to Beinglass and I was going to run from Beinglass to Tyndrum.  I always thought my section was easy until I did the Fling run.  Then I noticed how much uphill there is on it.  I know that it will be tough here on race day. 

We drove to Rowardennan for Debbie to start her section.  The midgies were really bad.  So any support teams reading, bring your midge nets and midge repellant.  Lots of it.  Just as Debbie started we met Mike from the WHW family but didn't have much of a conversation through the clouds of biting insects.  Debbie was off and I had the leisurely drive around the loch to Beinglass.

By the time I started my run it was hot. Very hot.  And the section I was doing doesn't offer much cover until after Crianlarich.  Rob, Euan, Alex and I started off at 11:15 and straight away Rob said that he was just running at a leisurely pace.  I should have stayed with him but thought I would run with Alex and Euan for a bit and then fall back and run the end with Rob.  It didn't happen and I ended up running the full thing with Alex and Euan.  Well not with them as Alex was always a minute in front and Euan a minute behind.  I had one 500ml bottle of energy drink with added electrolyte because of the warm weather.  The more I drank it the thirstier I got.  Euan and Alex were well dehydrated by the end.  I think that I will swap between water/electrolyte and energy drink on the race

My times for the run were

Derrydaroch    25:51

Crianlarich      49:08

Wigwams     1:19:31

Tyndrum      1:40:08

A little bit on the fast side.  I did walk up all the big hills and didn't ever feel like I was really pushing it but by the end I was glad it was over.  The heat was a nightmare to run in but I soon felt better after a big ice cream.  Debbie picked me up after her run and looked fantastic without a hair out of place.  She didn't even look like she had run and I was so glad she hadn't had too much bother with her foot.

Metcheck has a 14 day forecast.  Race day looks like this..

image

Hey John, you might get that view from Conic Hill after all.

RACE PACING

Everyone is starting to post there race plans.  I am struggling with mine.  Should I take the start ultra cautious?  Should I keep up with certain people at the beginning?  I haven't got a clue what to aim for.  I want to enjoy it and most of all finish it.  Hell, yes I have ambitions and dreams for certain times and I will post some but I don't want to get too wrapped up in it.  My support team will probably disagree though.

4 comments:

Debs M-C said...

There's only one race plan you need: Don't shoot off with Neal ;-) I think I've mentioned this a few times. Sorry, Neal.

xx

John Kynaston said...

Hi Marco

Hang in there. Not long to go now. Good to see your long term weather forecast for the race. I would love to see a great sunrise over Conic Hill:-) I think I deserve a good one after the Fling twice and whw race last year!

See you soon

John

PS I agree with Debs ... you & Neal won't need your starting blocks at Milngavie!!!

Tim said...

Hi Marco, assuming no stupidity on the day, I'm sure you'll have a great race.

I think it was probably Dario who said "The race is never won by Drymen, but is frequently lost", meaning that going out hard early on can really bite you on the bum later. If you take it easy early on, you'll have the pleasure of passing more folk later on.

Whatever your time, the race is an awesome experience and I'm sure you'll have a fantastic day.

Firebird5 said...

Hey Marco,

I dont know anyone with such a positive attitude as you, stick with it, look forward to that feeling 5 minutes after you finish the race, realising what you have achieved. Your gonna be fine :)

Charlie