Sunday 24 February 2008

Blackpool Rocks

BLACKPOOL HALF MARATHON RESULTS

Well actually it doesn't. But the half marathon does.

Nice day for a run

Debbie and I left Glasgow early on Saturday afternoon for the drive down south.  It was pouring with rain and very windy and I was thinking I had made the right choice not to do the nationals cross-country like everyone else was doing.  Arriving in Blackpool the wind was stronger and strange enough colder.  Maybe the XC was a better idea.  We checked into our B&B, The New World Hotel, and the worlds smallest hotel room tastefully decorated in safari prints.  At least it had a sea view although you couldn't see through the manky windows at the manky weather.  Now I really was wishing I was in my pink house (Debbie decorated) and the XC.  Time to eat.  Blackpool isn't the best place to go for a romantic meal with your wife.  Sure if I was 15 then the countless McDonalds and KFC's would be fine and dandy but not with a wife and a half marathon the next day.  We found a great wee Italian restaurant and had a great feed before an early night. Maybe things were looking up.

The next morning they certainly were.  We had a great breakfast at the hotel and the weather seemed to be easing.  Against my better judgement I had a bacon sandwich.

The race started at 11am and after a quick good luck to Debs we were off.  I was in the second front row at the beginning but within 10 seconds of the gun I must have dropped to 50th position but within minutes I was up to a top 10 position.  The route was up and down the seafront in one small loop and two larger loops.  A boring route but mostly flat although it was still windy.  As usual I was running far too fast in the first couple of miles but I soon settled down.  At about the 10 mile mark I noticed that I may be onto a PB if I could just pick up the pace for the last 3 miles.  The only thing was that the last two miles are into the wind with a horrible 180 degrees turn just 100m from the finish.  I didn't succeed and finished in 10th position in 1:17:09. 16 seconds behind my PB but my third fastest half time.  Quite happy as it was only a week after the 31 mile long run.  Debbie did even better.  Taking two and a half minutes off her PB in a time of 1:43:46.

5:29,5:42,5:52,5:55,5:58,6:12,6:09,5:58,5:55,5:56,5:58,6:13,5:40

and we mean it

YOU HAD TO DODGE WAVES ON THE COURSE

Because I was so happy with my skins shorts last week I decided that since I get more issues with my calves than anything else that I would reward myself with a pair of skins sox.  I would never ever wear them outside and they are just for recovery.

 

RIMG0586

AHH RECOVERY TIME IN MY SLIPPERS

3 comments:

Brian Mc said...

G'wan - wear the slippers n' socks for the earlier stages of the WHWR. ;-)

Debs M-C said...

There's a big neon sign here: Don't drink wine and then post pictures on your blog ;-) Maybe I shouldn't have egged you on though. x

Brian Mc said...

Keep feeding him wine and egging him on Debbie - he clearly needs to be hungover to give any of us normal speed mortals a chance. That, and glue the slippers to his feet. ;-)