Saturday 2 February 2008

Milburn Whinney XC Race

I went out with the local club the Milburn Harriers for their Whinney Hill XC Race.  The Millies seem a good bunch of guys with one of the guys, Jim running the WHW.

The race was 5 miles long although I was told 6 miles which was a little confusing when coming to the end.

Lindsay joined us for the race.

The start was quite slow but Lindsay and I couldn't go ahead as we didn't know where we were meant to be going.  We let Stevie from Milburn take the lead and followed a bit behind.  As the hills started I began to struggle a bit and although my spikes had been a good choice for the start I was questioning it by now.  The ground was rocky and in places very muddy.  A lot of the rocks were starting to hurt my feet.  By the top of Whinney Hill I was in 3rd place but I wasn't too concerned as I knew Lindsay would struggle more on the downhill.  Luck was on my side though when Lins stopped for a pee and I was able to take second with Stevie in my sights.

I caught Stevie and then tried to shake him but I wasn't able to which was probably a good thing as I had to check with him what way to go.  The last section was on road for 200 metres and I pulled away even although I was wearing my spikes.

A very good race, a good route for a future run (when it is a bit less muddy) and a good bunch of guys (and girl)

I hope they ask me back.

1 comment:

Steph said...

Marco

You are welcome anytime, hopefully a few more Millies as well, good luck with the WHW

Steph