Wednesday 12 March 2008

100 Days to go!!!

Today is exactly 100 days until the toughest race I have ever done.

100 days 5 hours and 42 minutes to go until I run the 95 miles from Milngavie to Fort William.  And how do I feel today.  Awful.  The half marathon has taken quiet a lot out of me and I know that it will take a few days to get over it.  I feel tired, lethargic and my limbs hurt.  I am taking today off running because I need to be fit for the Wuthering Hike 33m ultra on Saturday where I will meet Brian Mc for the first time.  Hopefully we get on as we have already decided to do the OMM this October together.  I have always wanted to try one so this will be my chance.

It is also good because I have been wondering what to fill the void that will be left once I have run the West Highland Way.  Every waking moment seems to be filled with it and I can see how people get obsessed with challenges.  I have even had dreams with people from the race.  Yes Dario and Davie A.  I am sorry to say that you have appeared to me at night much to Debbie's horror.

So the way I see it is before the race you can't wait for the race.  During it you can't wait for it to be over and after it you can't wait to do it next year.  After talking to John K on one of the training runs he suggested that a good way of looking at the race is to think of it as a 2 year challenge, with the first year being a warm up for the real race the second time.  And so I have decided that if all goes well this year I am going to enter the race in 2009 as well.  This way I will have hopefully learned from my mistakes and most importantly there will be no void to fill.

3 comments:

Phil Robertson said...

Hi Marco

Good to meet you on Saturday at the Wuthering Hike. Well done on a good time.

You're right, the WHWR does seem to fill every waking (and non-waking!) moment.

Good luck with the training!

Thomas said...

Marco, thanks for your comments on my blog. Unfortunately I cannot comment on your post about the Wuthering Hike - since you have not published anything!!!
;-)

See you next Saturday!

Marco Consani said...

Hee Hee thanks Tom. I have posted the blog now. Borrowed a photo from your blog... ;-)