Sunday 13 January 2008

If only I would learn....

After having a wee night at a friends house and staying over because Debbie and I over indulged in the alcoholic fruit juice we were rudely awakened by my phone going off at 7:30am.  A mountain rescue callout.  It took two attempts to awaken Dom our host to say thanks (the first was me sneaking into the wrong room and awakening a girl that I had only met the night before).  Made my excuses and I was away to help rescue two stalkers that had spent a horrendous night on the campsies.  It actually ended up me having a wee ride in a helicopter cause we found them while circling around.

MR

The royal navy helicopter landing on the road before taking us to the campsies

 

Anyway on to the run.

Last weekend I swore blindly that I would never ever run a long run the day after a 10K again.  I had stupidly ran an 18 mile (with 7 miles off road and over the Kilpatrick Hills) the day after the Nigel Barge 10K.  Debbie taking video of me broken and lying on the floor to post on YouTube was the final straw and I promised never to be so stupid again.  Besides the Running Bible says never to run a race and then a long run on two consecutive days.  The Running Bible . (This is a fab book.  In fact Debbie and I have two copies)

Anyway back to today.  After yesterdays PB I decided to do a long run over the Bromley Muir Hill (on my normal Stoneymollan circuit)) but this time instead of running home I would continue the route over to Cardross and run back from here.  Debbie was on the Cardross circuit and I would hopefully catch her up on the way.

The route over the Bromley Muir is fantastic.  I always enjoy it and after the climb up you are always rewarded with excellent views over Loch Lomond.  I made it to the top in 34mins which I think may be my fastest yet.  Back down the hill to the public path that leads to Cardross I was full of the joys of life.  Singing L7's Pretend that we're Dead at the top of my lungs and running knee deep in marsh I must have been a pretty sight.  Onto the path, it was time to catch Debbie.   there was some fallen trees in the wood to manoeuvre over and then the cows that I know Debbie dreads.  That would slow her down.  And if not that the knee high in coo sh*t would have her tip toeing through so not to ruin her shiny shoes.  By the time I reached Cardross I still couldn't see her and was beginning to worry that she might have turned back or decided on a change of route.

The hill out of Cardross finally wiped me out and I started to get the dizzy no energy feeling again.  As I got to the last main hill before a nice downhill back to Renton I spied Debbie.  Not staggering up the hill like I was but looking fully refreshed, waiting on me tapping her foot expectantly.  Not sure if she was waiting to see if I was okay or if it was for help getting past the manic dog that patrols the farm.  We decided to run together to the end. 

A good run that was very tiring but my elation from yesterday pulled me through.

13.66 Miles in 1:52:15

No comments: