Tuesday 29 January 2008

Tuesday Timed Tests

Back to the club today for some speedwork.  Today was down as a Timed effort.  The last time I came to this session I wore my racing shoes thinking that it was a time trial.  It's not.  The speed work is just done according to a certain time rather than distance.  Anyway this time I would use my new light weight trainers.

Coach Lesley had asked me to take the group out tonight so the session was up to me.  I decided that I would try to make it a harder session so opted to go for pyramids.  The format for this is fast sessions of 2,3,4,5,4,3,2 minutes with a minute and a half recovery between them.  I also chose a harder route as well that went from Garscube, along to Milngavie Rd to Milngavie then towards Baljafary before heading on the Stockie past the ski club and then Drymen Road and home again.  The route is just short of 7.5 miles.

We started the speed stuff at Boclair Rd and I felt great.  Nice and light in my new shoes.  By the second 4 minute one though I was starting to fade and could feel Stephen Mulrine behind me before the inevitable happened and he over took me.  He killed me in the last two as well.  Two new guys joined us tonight.  Andrew had a good run and managed to keep up with us but Chris started to struggle towards the end.  It reminded me of when I made the jump from the pack below.  There is such a difference in speed/pace/competitivness  that it is a real struggle but if you keep at it you really start to stay with them and it feels great.  If Chris and Andrew stay with us they will too.  Alistair Morrison finished the group.  Miles ahead as usual and hardly breaking a sweat.  I wonder what has happened to Alex.  Alex if you read this post a comment and tell me how you are doing.

No comments: