Saturday 5 January 2008

Nigel Barge 10K

Race Results

Nigel BargeThis was my first race of 2008 and to be honest I wasn't really looking forward to it.  I really wasn't sure why I was doing it.  Paul was doing it as a last race before heading back south and Debbie was coming especially to cheer me on and take some photos.  So in the end I felt I had to run it.  I am so glad that I did.  I got another PB. 35:31. WOOHOO!.  Great start to 2008.

Arrived early with Paul and attempted a warm-up.  It was hard to warm-up as the weather was atrocious with a biting wind up to the top gate.  At the start I decided to see if I could keep up with Lindsay or at least keep him in sight.  The first part of that didn't work too well.  Within the first mile Lins had pulled away but I spied Chris Upson who I had beaten by one place at East Kilbride in December.  Re-writing my race plan I decided to hang on to Chris.  My legs by this time were so numb that I didn't even feel running too close to the bramble bushes at the side of the road.  Onto the second lap the rain really started to lash and the hill to the top gate was windier than the first time round.  I didn't know where my personal photographer Debbie had gone but a blinding flash of lightning pinpointed Debbie and her new camera at the car park in Garscube.  One hand holding the umbrella one hand holding the camera I really thought that she was going to be blown away.  Back to the race I could see that Chris was starting to struggle and I was picking up valuable seconds on him.  I remembered from East Kilbride that he seemed to struggle in the last couple of km's and so I decided to hang on and try to pounce then.  It wasn't to be and when we got to the last lap of Garscube Chris seemed to pull away from me.  Happy with my position I slowed down, but then noticed I was on a PB and sped up for the last 200m.

Met up with everyone at the end including John Kynaston who was running too.  John and Ian have a great wee competition going with races.  John won last year 3-2 but Ian won today so he is 1 up.

I was on such a high at getting a PB today that I kept forgetting to ask everybody's times.  Sorry everyone...  :-(

Nigel BargeNigel BargeNigel Barge

No comments: