Monday 28 January 2008

Recovery Racing

Asic DS Trainer My quads have been hurting since our wee West Highland Way 30 mile jaunt on Saturday so I wasn't looking forward to running today.  As inspiration I thought it was time for some new shoes.  Out came the Run-4-It vouchers and after testing 3 pairs of shoes with Matt I was the proud owner of a new pair of Asics DS-Trainer 13's.  When Debbie saw them though she said they looked like special needs slippers.  I have been messing about with the idea of buying these shoes for my marathon in April.  I race 10k's and halves in DS-Racers which I think are excellent but I just don't think that I am light enough or fast enough to run a marathon in them and so I went for the slightly heavier (260g) trainers.

Back home I decided to run the 4 mile recovery route from Alexandria to Balloch and then back over the Bonhill bridge.  Yeah recovery my a$$ though.  I ran the 4 mile route in 25 mins at 6:17 / mile.  The problem is the new shoes just feel too light and so even although my quads were tight and my bones creaking I felt that I just had to pick up the speed and run fast.  Probably didn't aid my recovery one bit but did help me mentally and I feel much better for it.  Well until I try to get off this seat.

I see from John's blog that he also bought new shoes today.  His old shoes had holes big enough for his toes to stick out.  Mine on the other hand are a bit dirty.  I see he also has sore quads.  I wonder if everyone else out on Saturday does as well.  Debbie was feeling it in her quads too and is a hoot coming down the stairs.

PS Debbie informs me that the title is an oxymoron.  I wonder if that is beef or vegetable.

No comments: