Sunday 16 December 2007

A Nightmare before Christmas

Christmas Handicap Race ResultsGarscube Santa's (and one Elf)

  • Distance : 3.16 mi.

  • Time : 18:39 (5:54 / mi.)

  • Weather : 3.9C

  • Equipment : Saucony trigon 4

  • Total for week 50: 29.72 mi.

    It's that time of the year for the Garscube Christmas Party.  That night on the calendar where everyone gets the pi$$ taken out of them by my wife who is also the event organiser.  Before that though we have the Christmas Handicap race where we all dress as Santa (or something simDebbie the Elf and meilarly festive) and run through Westerton.

    Last year I managed to get 17:58 for the course and fastest time so I was hopeful that I would be able to defend it.  While getting ready for the race I took out my trusty racing shoes to cries of despair from Debbie.  "You can't wear them for a SANTA race......   yah fud"  Suitably embarrassed we set out for Westerton with my training shoes on to find that at least 4 or 5 other runners had their racers on?!  Luckily there was no Alistair, Stephen or Lindsay so I was hoping that the fastest time was still in the bag.  Debbie looked fantastic in her elf outfit that had cost her a small fortune and all week to make.  Spending every lunchtime in Primark looking for bits for it wasn't fun but it was worth it when she dressed up and everyone thought she would win the best dressed prize.  Went out to get some photos taken with all the various Santa's when up popped Stephen in his evil Santa outfit.  He looked great in it and I was starting to worry about my fastest time especially when he got a better handicap too.

    So I was scratch runner with no chance of getting the turkey (the prize for first) and I had to work hard to overtake Stephen and a few others.  A bottle of red wine coming back on me from the night before didn't help either and I ended up in 11th position with a time of 18:41.  Still the fastest time of the day but slower than last year.  Funny that I was slower especially as I am just off a PB for a 10k and also I feel faster.  Oh well.  There is always next year. 

    I was glad that Debbie and I had booked a hotel so we wouldn't have to travel to far for a nice bath but first we had to go shopping in Asda.  This was fab fun dressed as an elf and Santa Claus with a lot of strange looks that got even stranger when we checked into the hotel.

    The night out was great fun with a Ceilidh and really nice food.  Also met a couple of people that had gone up Kilimanjaro with Debbie.  Lauren and Alex.  They were a really nice couple from Hampshire.

    Evil Santa (Stephen Mulrine)Charlie and AnnaDebbie looking the bees kneesTime for my killer dance movesChickens beware!!!!Davie and HeatherRob looking smugIt's all the gangJerry and Sara

  • 1 comment:

    Stephen Mulrine said...

    Funnily enough I did mention to Natasha on the way home that I thought Debbie should have won the prize for best costume. Maybe she didn't get it because it wasn't an actual Santa costume?