Saturday 8 September 2007

Run Fat Boy Run



Training Day : 7
Session : Hills/Trail
Distance : 7.6 miles
Avg/mile : 8.37min
Time : 1:05:23

Ok today was my big day and I failed miserably.  I finally got to run with local legend Glen Stewart who can run under 30 mins for a 10k.  Nothing like making it hard for yourself after one week of training.  Well why not make it harder for myself and choose a torturous hilly trail run which we call the Stoneymollan Route.  Cool.  I met Glen and Lindsay Cunningham at the Polaroid bridge in Renton at 8am and what a beautiful late summers morning it was.  So after being introduced to Glen off we went to the first major hill of the day.  Glen and Lindsey where yapin' away while I was in oxygen depravation but I still managed to keep up with them.  Not bad so far and maybe they dont notice that the sweat is pouring out of me.  Have they even started to sweat?  Maybe I ran to fast in an effort to be at the meeting point in time.  Yeah that was it.  Next there is a a lovely flat section past Carman Reserviour and then on to Cardross Road and then on to the tough section over Overton Muir and the trig point at 304m.  On the way up I was really struggling with Glen and Lindsay still yapin' away I slowly lagged behind and had to take a couple of short walking breaks which I am sure didnt go unnoticed by the guys.  We finally reached the trig point and and stunning views of Loch Lomond, the backs of the Campsies, Ben Lomond and Conic Hill with Glen and Lindsay discussing all manner of new and even harder routes I was content with getting my breath back and trying to compose myself.  Now my favourite bit, downhill.  Lindsay has been having some problems with a dodgy ankle for years so I know that I can hold my own on downhill sections and so off I went ahead and I started to really enjoy the run.  We met Debbie at the top of the Upper Stoneymollan Road and I now felt slightly embarassed as I thought that it might look like I was only showing off on the downhill cause I knew that my wife would be there.  It didn't help when Debbie shouted over to the other lads when they came down "Call yourself the elite team!"  EEEK, if only she had seen me spluttering on the way up. We said bye to Debbie and continued back down to Balloch and then home.

Just a short note about the film Run Fat Boy Run.  I found it pretty good especially the part with the blister.  Ok it was slightly predictable especially during the marathon race that was shown but all in all it was good entertainment.

Also on a technical note, I have decided to list each session at the top of each blog.  I noticed John Kynaston does this and so I thought that it was a good idea.  Thanks John.  Also I just wanted to mention that I watched John Kynaston's video on the WHW race and I just wanted to say that it really inspired me.  Thanks again John.  There is a link to John's blog on the right.

No comments: