Thursday 6 September 2007

Training Day 5 (Thursday Club Run)

After the fun and games of yesterday I am now feeling very tired.  I spent the whole day half asleep at my desk with even a Venti Caramel Macchiatto from Starbucks unable to keep me awake.  I was so glad when it was home time but I still had to go to the club for my Thursday night run and on the schedule tonight 7 miles.  Great.  I am half sleeping and my muscles are really complaining from upping the training and the Half on Sunday.
Arrived at the club to find good news though, Alistair Morrison isnt coming tonight as he is going to a wedding.  Great, maybe the pace will be slower.  Nope spoke to soon.  Who turns up, its Lindsay Cunningham.  He never comes to Thursday night training runs so why is he turning up tonight when i am a broken man.  Ok he isnt as fast as Alistair but he likes to train hard.  Alex from Shettleston and Stephen Mulrine complete our pack.
The route was from the Garscube estate, then all the way along Maryhill Road to St Georges Cross then back along Gt Western Road to Morrisons in Anniesland then back to the back gate of Garscube.  At least the route was easy to remember for a change.
We set off in what felt like at least 30 mins after the first pack.  Maz was in charge of the timing for when each pack went out and has only 2 weeks to go until the birth of her first child.  She must have been having a bad day and so kept us back for ages before letting us go.
I felt brilliant the minute we started.  All the stiffness in my legs dissapeared.  After what felt like an age I was beginning to wonder why my Garmin hadnt beeped to tell me I had covered a mile.  I took a look to find the battery dead.  It must be tired like me.  And the tiredness caught up with me when we got to St Georges Cross and I started to lag behind the others.
By the end I felt very tired but I completed the 7 miles in roughly 45 mins so again I was happy with that.  The rest of the group completed it in about 42 - 43 mins and Robert McFarlane who is always trying to race me but is running really well at the moment came in about 49 mins.  He really should join our pack because I think that time unfairly reflect his fitness as the pack below us probably took it slower at the start.
After the drive home I again got out of the car feeling very stiff and a bit cold.  Just happy to get a shower and perk up again.

No comments: